Sunday, November 14, 2010

Adult ADD

I often wonder if I am a victim of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. I seem to sign up for things and then all of the sudden my attention is diverted and the first thing that seemed fun is no longer interesting. You will often find this behavior when you observe two-year-olds. The only benefit of me having ADD is that I will most likely not whack my friend over the head with a wine bottle to take her glass because hers looks better*.

Some of the things I have signed up for have been a half marathon – which I stopped training for. And the National Novel Writing contest – which is half over and I am only ¼ of the way through my 50,000 word count. Hmmmmm. The things that I am suddenly interested in are my CD collection, reading, and sleeping**.

The half marathon is going to hurt. It’s in Seattle which equals that most of it is going to be UP HILL and with my luck, probably BOTH WAYS. I was okay with paying almost the $100 for the entry fee+ and I was deliriously optimistic about my chances of actually finishing the race—until I started talking to people about it. I told my co-workers that I was going to actually RUN the entire 13.1 miles. I told people that I would SMILE when I crossed the finish line. I told my family and friends to come WATCH. What the hell was I THINKING??! Clearly nothing. My boss, sweetest guy ever, looks at me with pity in his eyes and says, “Dacia, there is a really big hill and it’s okay to walk it.” What did my over confident self think when he said that? “Gawff! Dacia doesn’t walk up hills!!! SHE RUNS THEM!”++ Did I mention how fit my boss is and how he probably is right? Yes, people, I am going to die mid-half-marathon.

So the novel writing contest...Ha! I got this idea for a book based on some song lyrics. I figured I could turn it into a full blown novel until I got to page 22 and thought, “Hmm….I don’t have a plot.” I am aimlessly writing and wondering just where this story is going. People have asked, “What are you writing about now?” and I can’t help but just stare at them like a deer frozen in headlights. I haven’t got a clue but I assure you all that it’s going to be a masterpiece+++.

As of today, I have decided that I am not going to sign up for anything else after November. I can’t seem to keep a focus on anything and my CD’s seem to captivate my interest for right now. Although, as I look at this eclectic mash of musical taste, I can’t help but wonder—does even my music suffer from my inability to focus? *heavy sigh*

Looks like Spanish classes start up in January. Maybe I should look into those to give me some focus.


*Notice the use of ‘most likely’ here. It could happen…you never know.

**AND eating…always eating. I never seem to lose interest in that.

+ I am going to wear the thread out of that race t-shirt I tell you!

++ Clearly I am not only a victim of ADD, but also insanity. I am legally insane, I think.

+++Most crazy people do their best work at the height of their insanity.

2 comments:

  1. I have just the TEDtalk for you! Derek Sivers "Shut up! Announcing your plans makes you less motivated to accomplish them."

    Apparently, telling everyone what you are going to do gives your brain a "premature sense of accomplishment" and, if you are anything like me, once you've done something you are ready to move on to the next new thing. It's not Adult ADD, good news! :P

    See the four minute video here: http://fwd4.me/nMj

    Google "Derek Sivers keep your goals to yourself" to find his blog. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    I have taken your advice and have not set any new goals for my personal life! Thanks! LOL
    Dacia

    ReplyDelete