Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Writing Biz

What a whirlwind time I have had these past couple of weeks! Being a small time writing celebrity sure is a lot of work. I can’t wait to be a REAL celebrity with all my personal assistants in tow… imagine if you will, me, with four gorgeous assistants who keep me fed, watered, walked and happy. Wait a second—that almost sounds like a dog hoping for a family. Maybe I am a puppy. Nevertheless, dog or human, it would be grand.

So back to writing. I wrote a book. I have actually written two and the one I just finished self-publishing (which I would like to add is only for those writers who are mentally insane) is finally up for sale on Amazon.com. Never in my life did I think I would have a book for sale. I collected pre-orders for those who wanted theirs signed and the feedback has been outstanding. Supportive networks I have going on out there. But that’s not the first thing in this chain of wild events.

I said I’ve had a whirlwind of a few weeks (I seem to keep getting off track here) and it started with Meeting Ann Rule at a book signing in Tumwater. It was my first ever experience meeting a real author and I have to say, I was a little star struck! For once in my life, I was speechless until my new friend, Kim told me to speak. Oh! I suppose I should introduce Kim to the rest of you...

I met and made friends with a REAL reporter for a newspaper down in Lewis County. She* interviewed my dad and I for their local paper (while we stood in line waiting for Ann) and lo and behold we were printed up. Of course my dad had far wittier things to say, BUT! we were there just like Lloyd Christmas is to Harry Dunne** hamming up the scene. Anyhow, Kim is a really cool gal*** and perhaps I can bring her around Shelton for show and tell sometime.

So, back from the rabbit trail—my book is finally published and is released for sale, newspaper prints story, people are shoving $20 bills into my hands left and right, my oompa loompas are going crazy with all the crazy fans surrounding the estate, and this circus just keeps getting crazier. Perhaps I should start photographing my circus life? My next book Dacialand: The Circus in Pictures.

Anyhow, it’s been a fun ride thus far and I can’t wait for more…

Bring it on life, bring it on. +

*Kim the reporter!

**Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne are the characters in Dumb and Dumber. I had to explain who Lloyd Christmas was to my boss the other day so I just wanted to make sure everyone else understood this too. :)

***which makes me question – would a person make friends with someone they didn’t think was cool? My guess is no.

+Last time I said that I was given a HUGE project at work so I am thinking this mantra will work!

No comments:

Post a Comment