Thursday, February 18, 2016

Working Sucks.

Ahhh…..It’s Tuesday morning. The morning following a holiday, 3-day weekend. There is nothing like having a bunch of time off to realize how much working sucks. I have often thought about the amount of time I spend at work and it is really a catch-22. Like most people, I didn’t choose my profession per se, I sort of fell into it, started making enough money to qualify as working poor and BOOM! Suddenly I am over a decade in and now it seems silly to change. Out of all the lovely people I work with, I am willing to bet that only 10% of them actually chose to work in the field they do. I honestly can’t see a bright eyed eight year old saying “Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be a public servant.”

So, back to the amount of time it takes to work full time. Forty hours a week doing something that you didn’t necessarily choose, and then are told through team building and whatnot to feel passionate about – well, that’s almost like trying to sleep with an ugly person. It just isn’t going to happen. Either that passion is there or it’s not, and no amount of lipstick on a pig is going to make it look any different than a pig. Work is just that, a four-letter necessary evil in life.

Then there is the flip side – finding love, quitting your job and being domesticated. If this lifestyle doesn’t scream “closet alcoholic” it should. I am sure there are plenty of satisfied stay at home parents or partners out there who are not alcoholics, but I think one of two things, a.) What’s the fun and/or point in that? b.) These people are liars. I never ever could stay home full-time (unless of course someone can invent calorie free vodka)…. Then we might be onto something.

To further my point, my mom stayed home with me. She did an amazing job keeping house, cooking, dealing with me that even on my best day; I would look like an epic failure. Even to this day, my DOG is excited when my mom comes to visit. I think he gives her this secret look that says, “Grandma, please take me away from this filthy pit.” Of course I smile, lightly nudge his face with my toe and say, “Oh it’s so hard when you’re working all the time.” Pah-leeze. My mom knows a liar when she sees one. She knows that I don’t care that my house looks like a cotton candy factory when I turn on the ceiling fan because the dust bunnies and dog hair take flight. But at least she lets me lie and get away with it. Perks of being an adult.

So since I am not passionate about my profession and I can’t stay home, what’s next? Here is a list (not exhaustive) of careers I have considered:

·         World famous author

·         Dog walker

·         Stand up comedian

·         Gas station attendant

·         Hair dresser

·         Famous pop singer

·         Costco receipt checker

·         Famous guitar player

·         Stripper

·         Walmart greeter

·         Waitress at a diner

Most of these are a bit lofty, I’ll admit, because I don’t exactly have the body of a stripper and that seems to be a prerequisite for most of these occupations. I also don’t know that I would like to be in the limelight all the time like the Costco receipt checker or Walmart greeter. I do like a bit of alone time at work. A gas station attendant would be almost perfect but maybe in a location like Mobile, Alabama (where the fun happens).

Anyhow, enough day dreaming. This future Author/Comedian/Waitress/Guitarist has to keep her day job for now and go to work.

Please message me if you ever do see zero calorie Vodka. I know it’s coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment